Beetroot is a root vegetable, also known as ‘Beet’ or ‘Chukunder/ Chukandar.’ It is famous as a superfood as it contains essential nutrients such as vitamin C, folate, potassium, and iron. Beetroot is also rich in antioxidants that help promote the healthy functioning of the heart, and helps manage blood pressure. It is also known to have aphrodisiac properties that help improve physical desire in men and manage erectile dysfunction.
What are the synonyms of Beetroot?
Beetroot is also known as Beta vulgaris, Palanki, Chukunder, Chakunder, Sensira, Neysisa, Sensirayi, Bitpalang, Shakharkand, Bipfruit, Garden Beet, Red beet, White sugar beet, Foliage beet, Leaf beet, Spinach beet, Salaq, Silikh, Chakundar.
Benefits of Beetroot
Regulates High Triglycerides
Beetroot might lower triglyceride levels in the blood. It is due to the presence of flavonoids and/or saponins.
High cholesterol is due to an imbalance of Pachak Agni (digestive fire). Beetroot helps promote Agni (digestive) due to its Ushna (hot) potency. It also reduces Ama (excess waste product) and helps in controlling high cholesterol levels in the body.
Regulates Hypertension (High Blood Pressure)
Beetroot might reduce blood pressure due to its high inorganic nitrate content. The nitrates are converted into nitric oxide that widens the blood vessels and regulates blood pressure.
Beetroots can be most beneficial to the Vata type for the grounding purpose. In contrast, Pitta can consume cooked beets due to their cooling nature, and Kapha can consume in a small amount due to high sugar content. Khapa and Vata types can enjoy the beet greens as well. Beetroots are rajasic in raw form and Sattvic in a cooked way.
Prevents Liver Diseases
Beetroot might protect against liver damage and disease. Beetroot contains a chemical called Betanin that stimulates the production of antioxidant proteins in the body. These proteins protect against oxidative damage caused to the liver cells.
Beets are naturally sweet and Kapha provoking. Raw beets provoke Pitta, but cooked beets are Pitta pacifying. Cooked beets transform the starches into sweeter sugars that are cooling. Beets cleanse and cool the blood and nourish the liver.
Improves Athletic Performance
Beetroot might improve athletic performance due to the presence of inorganic nitrates. It reduces pulmonary oxygen uptake and increases the efficiency of high-intensity exercise.
Beetroot helps to improve athletic performance due to its Guru (heavy) property. It also increases Kapha and makes the body healthy and strong. Regular intake of Beetroot enhances energy level and helps to maintain athletic performance.
Beetroot is a rich source of natural chemicals called nitrates. Nitrates change into nitric oxide in the body, which improves the blood flow and regulates blood pressure. Beetroot also helps to boost stamina.
Yes. Beetroot is considered as a superfood. It is rich in minerals such as potassium, betaine, magnesium, folate, vitamin C, and nitrates.
Yes, Beetroot increases haemoglobin production and is useful in managing iron deficiency/anaemia. This is due to the abundance of iron and folic acid in Beetroot.
Increased oxidative stress and inflammation can be responsible for obesity. Beetroot has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Thus, Beetroot juice may be useful in the management of weight loss.
Yes, Beetroot is good for weight loss. Beetroot is Guru (heavy) in nature and takes time to digest. This gives a feeling of fullness and prevents overeating.
No, in fact, Beetroot is a great way to prevent and treat constipation. This is due to its Rechana (laxative) property. Along with this, Beetroot is also high in fiber, which adds bulk to stool and helps in easy expulsion.
- Balkrishnan A.Chukunder. Ayurved Jadi Buti Rehsya. Danik Bhaskar.2017.
- Clifford T, Howatson G, West DJ, et al. The Potential Benefits of Red Beetroot Supplementation in Health and Disease.Nutrients.2015;7(4):2801–2822.
- Hamedi S, Honarvar M.Beta vulgaris – A mini review of traditional uses in Iran, phytochemistry and pharmacology.Curr Drug Discov Technol.2018;15:1.
- Miraj S.Chemistry and pharmacological effect of beta vulgaris: A systematic review. Der Pharmacia Lettre.2016;8(19):404-409.
- WebMD.Beet: Uses, Side effects, Doses, Interactions [Internet].Atlanta [last updated in 2016].
- Al-Dosari M, Al Qasoumi S, Ahmad M et al.Effect of beta vulgaris l. on cholesterol rich diet-induced hypercholesterolemia in rats.Farmacia.2011;59(5):669-678.
- Krajka-Kuźniak V, Paluszczak J, Szaefer H.Betanin, a Beetroot component, induces nuclear factor erythroid-2-related factor 2-mediated expression of detoxifying/antioxidant enzymes in human liver cell lines.Br J Nutr.2013;110(12):2138-2149.
- Coles LT, Clifton PM.Effect of Beetroot juice on lowering blood pressure in free-living, disease-free adults:a randomized, placebo-controlled trial.Nutr J.2012;11(1):1-6.
- Cermak NM, Gibala MJ, Van Loon LJC.Nitrate supplementation’s improvement of 10-km time-trial performance in trained cyclists.Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab.2012;22(1):64-71.
- Lidder S, Webb AJ.Vascular effects of dietary nitrate (as found in green leafy vegetables and Beetroot) via the nitrate-nitrite-nitric oxide pathway.Br J Clin Pharmacol.2013;75(3):677-696.
- Gilchrist M, Winyard PG, Fulford J et al.Dietary nitrate supplementation improves reaction time in type 2 diabetes:development and application of a novel nitrate-depleted Beetroot juice placebo.Nitric Oxide – Biol Chem.2014;40:67-74.
- Wootton-Beard PC, Brandt K, Fell D et al.Effects of a Beetroot juice with high neobetanin content on the early-phase insulin response in healthy volunteers.J Nutr Sci.2014;3:e9.
- Jaiswal A, Ganeshpurkar A, Awasthi A et al.Protective effects of Beetroot extract against phenylhydrazine induced anemia in rats.Pharmacogn J.2014;6(5):1-4.
- Gayathri Priya N, Malarvizhi MM, Annal M et al.Beetroot juice on haemoglobin among adolescent girls.IOSR J Nurs Heal Sci.2013;2(1):9-13.
- Maheshwari RK, Parmar V, Joseph L.Latent therapeutic gains of Beetroot juice.World J Pharm Res.2013;2(4):804-820.
- Zielińska-Przyjemska M, Olejnik A, Dobrowolska-Zachwieja A et al.In vitro effects of Beetroot juice and chips on oxidative metabolism and apoptosis in neutrophils from obese individuals.Phyther Res.2009;23:49-55.
- Kapoor VP.Herbal cosmetics for skin and hair care.Nat Prod Radiance.2005;4(4):306-314. 18. Pratik MB, Ashok VG, Pranita AG.A quest of Anti-acne potential of herbal medicines for extermination of MDR Staphylococcus aureus.Int J Pharm Sci Invent.2014;3(6):12-17.
- Pratik MB, Ashok VG, Pranita AG.A quest of Anti-acne potential of herbal medicines for extermination of MDR Staphylococcus aureus.Int J Pharm Sci Invent.2014;3(6):12-17.
- Chawla H, Parle M, Sharma K et al.Beetroot:a health promoting functional food.Inventi Rapid: Nutraceuticals.2015;2016(1):1-5.
- Ormesher L,Myers J E, Chmiel C. Effects of dietary nitrate supplementation, from beetroot juice, on blood pressure in hypertensive pregnant women: A randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled feasibility trial.Nitric Oxide.2018(80):37-44.
- Kumar Y. Beetroot: A Super Food.International Journal of Engineering studies and Technical Approach 2015:1(3):20-26.
- Kapadia GJ, Tokuda H, Konoshima T et al.Chemoprevention of lung and skin cancer by Beta vulgaris (beet) root extract.Cancer Lett. 1996:100(1-2):211-4.
This information is meant to supplement, not replace advice from your doctor or healthcare provider and is not meant to cover all possible uses, precautions, interactions or adverse effects. This information may not fit your specific health circumstances. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your doctor or other qualified healthcare provider because of something you have read on Foresta Organics. You should always speak with your doctor or health care professional before you start, stop, or change any prescribed part of your healthcare plan or treatment and to determine what course of therapy is right for you.