Giloy, also known as Amrita, is an herb that has heart-shaped leaves. Giloy improves immunity and can be used to manage fevers due to its antipyretic property. It also increases platelet count and might help in dengue fever. Giloy is beneficial for diabetic patients as it helps manage blood glucose levels. It also improves metabolism and is useful for weight management. Giloy is also used for various skin problems as it helps to remove toxins from the body.
What are the synonyms of Giloy?
Giloy is also known as Tinospora cordifolia, Guduchi, Madhuparni, Amruta, Amritavallari, Chhinnaruha, Chakra Lakshanika, Somvalli, Rasayani, Devnirmita, Gulvel, Vatsadani, Jwarari, Bahuchinna, Amrita.
Benefits of Giloy
Giloy has certain chemical constituents that activate the immunity-boosting cells that help to regulate and strengthen immunity. These cells further help the body build immunity by fighting against disease-causing pathogens.
Giloy helps to boost your immunity due to its Rasayana (rejuvenating) property. Thus your body develops the tendency to fight back against all viral or bacterial infections and maintains sound internal health.
Manages Asthma and Cough
Giloy has impressive anti-inflammatory properties, which help reduce inflammations in the air passage. Giloy extract also controls mucus hypersecretion due to an increased number of goblet cells (cells that secretes mucus) associated with asthma and cough.
Giloy gives excellent results in Kapha related disorders like asthma, cough, and nasal allergy. It works on Kapha related problems in two ways: 1) Giloy helps balance Kapha due to its Ushna Virya property. 2) It also boosts the immune system to fight foreign particles due to its Rasayana property.
Giloy is an anti-inflammatory, antipyretic (fever-reducing) herb. It is useful in building up the immune system and the body’s defense against infections. It enhances the activity of the cells responsible for fighting foreign bodies and microorganisms. It thus helps in early recovery.
Giloy helps in reducing fever due to its Javarghana (antipyretic) property. As per Ayurveda, Ama (body toxins) and any foreign particle or organisms lead to high fever. Giloy helps reduce fever by improving digestion and absorption due to its Deepan (appetizer) and Pachan (digestive) properties, preventing Ama’s formation. It also improves immunity to fight foreign particles or organisms due to its Rasayana property.
Giloy is present with a digestive enzyme known as amylase, which helps in the digestion of starch, the primary source of carbohydrates in the human diet. The conversion of dietary starch into glucose by amylase helps promote digestion.
Agnimandya (low digestive fire) is the main reason behind weak or poor digestion. Giloy helps to improve your digestion due to its Ushna (hot), Deepana (appetizer), and Pachana (digestion) properties. It helps to strengthen your Agni (digestive fire) and promote digestion while also enhancing your appetite.
Controls Hay fever
Giloy reduces the symptoms of Hay fever, which is also known as allergic rhinitis. It reduces symptoms like nasal discharge, sneezing, nasal itching, nasal obstruction. It also increases the count of the leukocytes (white blood cells) to fight against infection.
An allergy occurs due to the imbalance of Kapha and Ama’s (toxins) accumulation. Giloy prevents Ama’s formation due to its Deepan (appetizer) and Pachan (digestive) nature and balances Kapha. It also helps improves immunity due to its Rasayana (rejuvenating) properties.
Manages Liver disease
It acts by lowering the total cholesterol level in the liver. It also improves antioxidant enzymes (reduces damage by free radicals) and oxidative stress markers, thereby enhancing overall liver function.
Giloy improves metabolism and liver functions due to its Deepan (appetizer) and Pachan (digestive) properties. Giloy also inhibits degeneration and promotes new cell growth due to its Rasayana (rejuvenating) quality.
Delays Diabetes Type 1 & Type 2 (symptoms)
Giloy might be useful in managing diabetes by improving blood glucose levels. It also helps manage diabetes-related complications such as ulcers, wounds, and kidney damage due to its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
Giloy helps control high blood sugar levels and various diabetic complications by improving digestion and absorption due to its Deepan (appetizer) and Pachan (digestive) properties, preventing Ama’s formation.
Giloy reduces inflammation in arthritis by inhibiting the production of pro-inflammatory cytokines (molecules that promote inflammation). It also stimulates osteoblasts’ growth (cells that help bone formation), allowing the bone formation, and preventing bone and cartilage . However, Giloy is said to boost the immune system and might not be favorable in rheumatoid arthritis (an auto-immune disease).
In Ayurveda, Giloy or Guduchi is one of the useful herbs for treating arthritis. Ayurveda believes that Ama (body toxins)has the primary involvement in any type of arthritis. Giloy works to reduce Ama by improving digestion and absorption due to its Deepan (appetizer) and Pachan (digestive) properties. Giloy works on reducing Ama, thereby decreasing pain and swelling in the body.
Giloy plant is also known as an adaptogenic herb (manages stress hormone). It works by suppressing overactivation of the sympathetic nervous system, thus reducing mental stress and anxiety. It exerts a calming effect on the mind.
According to Ayurveda, stress or anxiety occurs due to the involvement of aggravated Vata in the body. Giloy (Guduchi) has Vata balancing property. It helps reduce mental stress or anxiety and suppresses the hyperactive nervous system.
Yes, Giloy might be beneficial in fighting respiratory diseases due to certain constituents which possess antimicrobial property. It helps to combat respiratory infection-causing microbes keeping the respiratory system healthy.
Respiratory problems generally occur due to an imbalance of Vata and Kapha dosha, which might sometimes obstruct the respiratory pathway by the formation and accumulation of mucus. Giloy helps to fight respiratory problems due to its Ushna (hot) and Vata-Kapha balancing properties. This helps to melt the mucus and clear all the obstructions resulting in normal breathing.
It is advisable to consult a doctor before taking Giloy if you have auto-immune disorders like rheumatoid arthritis, systemic lupus erythematosus, or other conditions. In autoimmune diseases, the body’s immune system attacks the body, and Giloy is known to boost the immune system. When you take Giloy in case of auto-immune diseases, it may over-stimulate the immune system.
Giloy is useful in managing dengue fever. It has anti-inflammatory and antipyretic (that reduce fever) properties. Giloy during dengue helps in improving the immune system. It also helps in increasing platelet count. Together, it helps to manage dengue fever.
Giloy helps control high cholesterol levels in the body by improving the metabolism and eliminating toxins from the body responsible for high cholesterol. This is due to its Deepan (appetizer), Pachan (digestive) nature, and Rasayana (rejuvenating) properties.
Giloy is used in Vata rog like Gouty arthritis due to its Vata balancing and blood purifying actions.
Unhealthy food habits and lifestyles lead to a weak digestive fire, which increases Ama’s accumulation (body toxins), causing an imbalance in Meda dhatu, resulting in obesity. Giloy helps to improve the digestive fire and reduces Ama, which is the prime cause of obesity.
Although there is not enough scientific evidence on the direct use of Giloy for PCOS, it is said to improve individuals’ immunity dealing with PCOS.
Giloy is beneficial for the skin in many ways. Giloy has wound healing property due to certain compounds like phenolic compounds, glycosides, steroids, etc. It works by increasing the healing tissue’s tensile strength, which leads to collagen production and contraction of the wound. This helps in faster healing of the wound. Giloy also helps to manage insect and snake bites.
Skin problems might occur due to an imbalance of any of the three doshas (Vata, Pitta, Kapha), leading to inflammation, dryness, itching, or skin irritation. Giloy helps to manage all these skin problems due to its Tridosha (Vata, Pitta, and Kapha) balancing, Snigdha (oily), Kashaya (astringent), and Ropana (healing) properties. This leads to healthy and disease-free skin.
Giloy might help manage breast cancer because of its anti-proliferative (used to inhibit cell growth) property. Rutin and quercetin present in Giloy inhibit cell proliferation and breast cancer cells’ growth due to its anti-cancer property.
Giloy might reduce the risk of cancer by balancing Vata-Pitta-Kapha and controlling cancer cells’ growth and spread. Giloy also prevents cell damage due to its Rasayana (rejuvenating) property.
Giloy helps to maintain overall health. According to Ayurveda, Giloy can help control high blood pressure, which results due to digestive problems. Giloy improves metabolism and helps maintain a sound digestive system that helps reduce the risk of high blood pressure levels.
- Saha S, Ghosh S.Tinospora cordifolia: One plant, many roles. Anc Sci Life. 2012; 31(4):151–159.
- Sharma R, Amin H, Prajapati K, et al.Antidiabetic claims of Tinospora cordifolia (Willd.) Miers: Critical appraisal and role in therapy.Asian Pac J Trop Biomed.2015;5(1):68-78.
- Upadhyay AK, Kumar K, Kumar A, et al.Tinospora cordifolia (Willd.) Hook. f. and Thoms. (Guduchi) – Validation of the Ayurvedic pharmacology through experimental and clinical studies.Int J Ayurveda Res.2010;1(2):112–121.”,https://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-1157-tinospora%20cordifolia.aspx,”Lalla JK, Ogale S, Seth S. A review on dengue and treatments.RRJPTS.2014;2(4).
- Sharma V, Pandey D.Beneficial effects of Tinospora cordifolia on blood profiles in male mice exposed to lead.Toxicol Int.2010;17(1):8–11.
- Tiwari M, Dwivedi UN, Kakkar P.Tinospora cordifolia extract modulates COX-2, iNOS, ICAM-1, pro-inflammatory cytokines and redox status in murine model of asthma.J Ethnopharmacol.2014;153(2):326-37.
- Ansari JA, Rastogi N, Ahmad MK, et al.ROS mediated pro-apoptotic effects of Tinospora cordifolia on breast cancer cells.Front Biosci (Elite Ed).2017;9:89-100.
- Chavan T, Ghadge A, Karandikar M, et al.Hepatoprotective activity of Satwa, an Ayurvedic formulation, against alcohol-induced liver injury in rats.Altern Ther Health Med.2017;23(4):34-40.
- Mishra A, Kumar S, Pandey AK.Scientific validation of the medicinal efficacy of Tinospora cordifolia.Scientific World Journal.2013.
- Kalikar MV, Thawani VR, Varadpande UK, et al. Immunomodulatory effect of Tinospora cordifolia extract in human immuno-deficiency virus positive patients. Indian J Pharmacol.2008;40(3):107-110.
- Siriwardene SAD, Karunathilaka LPA, Kodituwakku ND, et al. Clinical efficacy of Ayurveda treatment regimen on Subfertility with Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS).Ayu.2010;31(1): 24–27.
- Mukherjee A, Sengupta S, Ray L et al.Evaluation of Tinospora cordifolia amylase as a commercial digestive enzyme of plant origin.Journal of Herbs, Spices & Medicinal Plants.2012;18(1):58-76.
- Mishra A, Kumar S, Pandey AK.Scientific validation of the medicinal efficacy of Tinospora cordifolia. The Scientific World Journal.2013:1-8.
- Barua CC, Talukdar A, Barua AG et al.Evaluation of the wound healing activity of methanolic extract of Azadirachta indica (neem) and tinospora cordifolia (guduchi) in rats.Pharmacologyonline.2010;1:70-77.
- Saha S, Ghosh S.Tinospora cordifolia: one plant, many roles.Anc Sci Life.2012;31(4):151-9.
- Mittal J.Tinospora cordifolia: a multipurpose medicinal plant- A review. Journal of Medicinal Plants Studies.2014;2(2):32-47.
- Chauhan DS, Lata S, Sharma RK, et al. Evaluation of Role of Tinospora Cordifolia (T.cord.) In Experimentally Induced (Busulfan Induced) Thrombocytopenia In Rabbits.Indian journal of research.2016;5(6):96-99.
This information is meant to supplement, not replace advice from your doctor or healthcare provider and is not meant to cover all possible uses, precautions, interactions or adverse effects. This information may not fit your specific health circumstances. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your doctor or other qualified healthcare provider because of something you have read on Foresta Organics. You should always speak with your doctor or health care professional before you start, stop, or change any prescribed part of your healthcare plan or treatment and to determine what course of therapy is right for you.