Kaunch or Cowhage is widely known as ‘The magic velvet bean.’ It is a leguminous plant and is a good source of protein. Kaunch helps increase physical desire and the quality and quantity of sperm due to its aphrodisiac property. It helps manage nervous disorders like Parkinson’s diseases and controls the symptoms of arthritis.
What are the synonyms of Kaunch?
Kaunch is also known as – Mucuna pruriens, Banar Kakua, Cowhage, Kavach, Kaucha, Kewanch, Kaunch, Nasugunne, Naikuruna, Khajkuhilee, Baikhujnee, Tatgajuli, Kawach, Poonaikkali, Doolagondi, Duradagondi, Kanwach, Konch, Kapikacchu.
Benefits of Kaunch
1. Increases Physical Desire
According to ayurveda, Kaunch helps enhance physical power by improving the quality and quantity of semen because of its Guru (heavy) and Vrushya (aphrodisiac) properties.
2. Improves Reproductive Health
3. Manages Physical Disorders
4. Builds Muscle Strength
Yes, Kaunch works as an aphrodisiac. It helps to increase sperm count and movement. It also helps to increase the production and quantity of semen.
According to ayurveda, Kaunch is widely used for enhancing physical power. It also improves the quality and quantity of semen because of its Guru (heavy) and Vrushya (aphrodisiac) properties.
Stress increases the secretion of adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH), which increases the cortisol levels (stress hormone) in the body. Kaunch reduces the level of cortisol and helps to reduce stress and stress-related problems due to its antioxidant properties.
Yes, Kaunch might help improve energy levels due to the presence of L-dopa in it. L-dopa gets converted to dopamine, which helps elevate energy levels in the body.
According to ayurveda, Kaunch helps boost energy and improve stamina because of its Guru (heavy) and Vrishya (aphrodisiac) properties. Kaunch also helps improve libido, which decreases due to the low energy level.
Yes, Kaunch is good for woman’s health, especially to get relief from all types of Vata disorders like joint pain. But it is advisable to consult your doctor while taking Kaunch (seeds) during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
Yes, Kaunch helps in wound healing. It has good antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and antimicrobial properties. The phytoconstituents (chemical compounds) in Kaunch help in wound contraction and closure. It helps in the formation of collagen and new skin cells. It also reduces the risk of infection in the wound. Thus, Kaunch promotes wound healing.
- Lampariello LR, Cortelazzo A, Guerranti R.The Magic Velvet Bean of Mucuna pruriens.J Tradit Complement Med.2012; 2(4): 331–339.
- WebMD.Cowhage: Uses, Side effects, Doses, Interactions [Internet].Atlanta [last updated in 2016].
- Sinha S, Sharma S, Vora J, et al. Mucuna pruriens (L.) DC chemo sensitize human breast cancer cells via downregulation of prolactin-mediated JAK2/STAT5A signaling. J Ethnopharmacol.2018;217:23-35.
- Kumar P, Saha S. An updated review on taxonomy, phytochemistry, pharmacology and toxicology of Macuna pruriens. Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry.2013;2(1):306-314.
- Chauhan NS, Sharma V, Dixit VK, et al. A review on plants used for improvement of sexual performance and virility. BioMed Research International.2014.
- Toppo FA, Pawar RS. Appraisal on the wound healing activity of different extracts obtained from Aegle marmelos and Mucuna pruriens by in vivo experimental models. Niger J Clin Pract.2016;19:753-760.
- Thornton MJ, Laing I, Hamada K, et al.Differences in testosterone metabolism by beard and scalp hair follicle dermal papilla cells. Clinical Endocrinology.1993;39(6):633-639.
- Grino PB, Griffin JE, Wilson JD.Testosterone at high concentrations interacts with the human androgen receptor similarly to dihydrotestosterone.Endocrinology.1990.;126(2):1165-72.
- Gupta A, Mahdi AA, Ahmad MK, et al.A proton NMR study of the effect of Mucuna pruriens on seminal plasma metabolites of infertile males.J Pharm Biomed Anal. 2011.15;55(5):1060-6.
- Shukla KK, Mahdi AA, Ahmad MK, et al.Mucuna pruriens improves male fertility by its action on the hypothalamus-pituitary-gonadal axis.Fertil Steril.2009;92(6):1934-40.
- Shukla KK, Mahdi AA, Ahmad MK, Pyari S, et al.Mucuna pruriens Reduces Stress and Improves the Quality of Semen in Infertile Men.Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2010; 7(1): 137–144.
- Singh AP, Sarkar S, Tripathi M, Rajender S.Mucuna pruriens and Its Major Constituent L-DOPA Recover Spermatogenic Loss by Combating ROS, Loss of Mitochondrial Membrane Potential and Apoptosis.PLoS One. 2013; 8(1): e54655.
- Ulbricht CE.Natural Standard:Herb and Supplement Guide, An Evidence Based Reference.Elsevier;2010.
This information is meant to supplement, not replace advice from your doctor or healthcare provider and is not meant to cover all possible uses, precautions, interactions or adverse effects. This information may not fit your specific health circumstances. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your doctor or other qualified healthcare provider because of something you have read on Foresta Organics. You should always speak with your doctor or health care professional before you start, stop, or change any prescribed part of your healthcare plan or treatment and to determine what course of therapy is right for you.