The name Shankhpushpi was given to the plant owing to its shankh or conch shaped flowers. Shankhpushpi is used to improve mental health and might help in managing depression due to its antidepressant properties. Shankhpushpi helps to calm down the brain and relieve stress as well as anxiety. It is a potent memory booster and brain tonic that actively helps in enhancing concentration.
What are the synonyms of Shankhpushpi?
Shankhpushpi is also known as Convolvulus pluricaulis, Shyamakranta, Syamakranta, Visnukranta, Speedwheel, Sankhaholi, Vishnukarandi, Vishnukranti, Krsnakranti, Shankavall, Vishnukrantha, Krishna-enkranti, Erravishnukaraantha.
Benefits of Shankhpushpi
Improves Cognitive Functioning
Shankhpushpi is a powerhouse of antioxidants and flavonoids that improve memory capacity, focus, concentration and alertness. Shankhpushpi being a brain tonic and stimulator, promotes improved memory, reasoning, problem-solving, and other cognitive abilities.
Reduces Mental Fatigue
Mental fatigue is a condition of excessive and prolonged cognitive activity. It mostly occurs due to excessive work using a computer, watching television for hours, learning or memorizing activities, etc. and causes a person to lose concentration and feel lethargic. Shankhpushpi is a powerful memory booster that helps in enhancing the brain’s working capacity and reduces the loss of concentration.
Shankhapushpi has potent anti-stress, antidepressant and anti-anxiety properties that help manage problems like depression, dementia, restlessness, etc. It helps keep serotonin levels under control, helps reduce various symptoms of anxiety, and helps in relaxing the mind and body.
Shankhpushpi helps reduce the levels of cortisol which is a stress hormone and thereby reduces stress and improves the quality of sleep. It is highly effective in regulating body metabolism, inducing sound sleep, and treating sleep disorders like insomnia.
Shankhpushpi holds high significance in providing relief from chronic headaches, or tension. Normally, headache occurs due to excessive workload, stress, anxiety, etc. It soothes irritated nerves, calms the brain, and improves nerve function.
Reduces Indigestion and Constipation
The digestive properties found in Shankhpushpi is found to be extremely beneficial in improving digestion. It stimulates the secretion of digestive juices thereby increasing the absorption of essential nutrients and enhancing digestion.
Shankhpushpi improves memory, reduces stress, and improves sleep and the digestive system. It stimulates the nervous system and manages the brain activities. It is also very effective in boosting immunity and helps to fight against infections.
Shankhpushpi might help reduce stress and anxiety by lowering cortisol levels, a stress hormone.
The active constituents present in Shankhpushpi, such as alkaloids, flavonoids, and coumarins, have antidepressant activity, which helps manage depression.
Yes, the constituents present in Shankhpushpi can help you reduce stress, anxiety. Shankhpushpi is known to improve memory and acts as the best brain booster.
Shankhpushpi enhances the function of the brain. Certain components present in Shankhpushpi calms the brain and helps relieve stress. Due to this, it may be useful in managing insomnia.
Yes, Shankhpushpi helps in managing headaches. It relaxes the agitated nerves by inducing sound sleep, which relieves headache.
Shankhpushpi helps to manage stress or mental fatigue induced headaches. It lowers stress by relaxing the nervous system because of its Medhya (improves intelligence) property.
Hysteria is a condition of a sudden outburst of emotion or excitement. Yes, Shankhpushpi is useful to manage hysteria. It works as a stimulant and improves the function of the brain. It also helps to calm down the brain activities and reduce stress.
Shankhpushpi might help reduce hysteria symptoms because it has Medhya (improves intelligence) property. It helps to maintain the proper function of the brain and minimize the chance of a hysterical episode.
Shankhpushpi is a rich source of carbohydrates such as D-glucose, maltose, rhamnose, sucrose, and alkaloids such as shankhapushpine, convolamine, and convoline. It also contains fatty acids, volatile oils, proteins, and amino acids.
- Bhowmik D, KPSampath, Paswan S,et.al. Traditional Indian Herbs Convolvulus Pluricaulis and Its Medicinal Importance. J Pharmacogn Phytochem.2011;1(1):50-58.
- Agarwal P, Sharma B, Fatima A,et.al.An update on Ayurvedic herb Convolvulus pluricaulis Choisy.Asian Pac J Trop Biomed. 2014;4(3): 245–252.
- Balkrishnan A.Shapushpinkh. Ayurved Jadi Buti Rehsya. Danik Bhaskar.2017
- Shah JS, Goyal RK.Usage trends for memory and vitality-enhancing medicines: A pharmacoepidemiological study involving pharmacists of the Gujarat region.Int J Ayurveda Res.2010; 1(3): 138–143.
- Rao RV, Descamps O, John V.Ayurvedic medicinal plants for Alzheimer’s disease: A review.Alzheimers Res Ther.2012; 4(3):22.
- Sharma K, Bhatnagar M, Kulkarni SK.Effect of Convolvulus pluricaulis Choisy. and Asparagus racemosus willd on learning and memory in young and old mice: a comparative evaluation.Indian J Exp Biol.2010;48:479-485.
- Bhowmik D, Kumar KPS, Paswan S et al.Traditional Indian herbs Convolvulus pluricaulis and its medicinal importance.Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry.2012;1(1):50-58.
- Dhingra D, Valecha R.Screening for antidepressant-like activity of convolvulus pluricaulis choisy in mice.Pharmacologyonline.2007;1:262-278.
- Siddiqui NA, Ahmad N, Musthaq N et al.Neuropharmacological profile of extracts of aerial parts of Convolvulus pluricaulis choisy in mice model.Open Neurol J.2011;8:11-4.
- Sharma K, Arora V, Rana AC et al.Anxiolytic effect of Convolvulus pluricaulis choisy petals on elevated plus maze model of anxiety in mice.Journal of Herbal Medicine and Toxicology.2009;3(1):41-46.
- Puri HS.Rasayana: Ayurvedic Herbs for Longevity and Rejuvenation.CRC Press.2003.
- Chetna AHW.Causes & Cure Of Stress (Migraine & Headache).Diamond Pocket Books (P) Ltd.1997.
- Balkrishna A.Secrets of Indian herbs. Divya Prakashan.2008.
- Hindu V.Shankhpushpi: A short review.IRJP.2012;3(1):81-83.
This information is meant to supplement, not replace advice from your doctor or healthcare provider and is not meant to cover all possible uses, precautions, interactions or adverse effects. This information may not fit your specific health circumstances. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your doctor or other qualified healthcare provider because of something you have read on Foresta Organics. You should always speak with your doctor or health care professional before you start, stop, or change any prescribed part of your healthcare plan or treatment and to determine what course of therapy is right for you.