Ginkgo Biloba is one of the oldest living trees, dating back to more than 200 million years. It has been traditionally used for memory and thought problems, anxiety, vision problems, and many other conditions. Ginkgo is associated with several uses, most of which focus on brain function and blood circulation. This herb used to treat altitude sickness (prevention), cerebral vascular insufficiency, cognitive disorders, dementia, dizziness/vertigo, memory loss, premenstrual syndrome (PMS), SSRI-induced physical dysfunction, and as a vasodilator [medications that open (dilate) blood vessels].
What are the synonyms of Gingko Biloba?
Gingko Biloba is known as Abricot Argenté Japonais, Adiantifolia, Arbre aux Écus, Arbre aux Quarante Écus, Arbre du Ciel, Arbre Fossile, Bai Guo Ye, Baiguo, Extrait de Feuille de Ginkgo, Extrait de Ginkgo, Fossil Tree, Ginkgo biloba, Ginkgo Biloba Leaf, Ginkgo Extract, Ginkgo Folium, Ginkgo Leaf Extract.
Benefits of Ginkgo Biloba
1. Eases Anxiety
2. Soothes Headaches
3. Manages Alzheimer Disease (symptoms)
4. Manages Schizophrenia (symptoms)
5. Improves Heart Health
6. Manages Respiratory Diseases
7. Manages Physical Dysfunction
Ginkgo Extract can reduce symptoms of anxiety. Ginkgo slightly improves dementia symptoms.
Some studies suggest that Ginkgo Biloba may improve some aspects of mood, including alertness and calmness, in healthy subjects. It helps you stay more alert and calmer, it may increase your sense of energy. This relatively safe and popular herb is said to reduce fatigue and enhance stamina and endurance.
Ginkgo Leaf Extract seems to improve symptoms of dizziness and balance disorders.
Ginkgo may help treat both the physical and psychological symptoms of premenstrual syndrome (PMS). It may relieve breast tenderness and other symptoms associated with PMS.
Essentially, the herb cannot directly cause hair growth, but it does promote stimulation, which can create a healthier environment for better and faster growth.
Ginkgo leaf extract contains quercetin and kaempferol, natural plant flavonoids that act as antioxidants, and help fight free radicals. These components may result in anti-inflammatory and anti-aging effects.
- Meydani M. Effect of functional food ingredients: vitamin E modulation of cardiovascular diseases and immune status in the elderly. Am J Clin Nutr 2000;71:1665S-8S
- Mix JA, Crews WD Jr. An examination of the efficacy of Ginkgo biloba extract EGb761 on the neuropsychologic functioning of cognitively intact older adults. J Altern Complement Med 2000;6:219-29
- Mix JA, Crews WD. A double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomized trial of Ginkgo biloba extract EGb 761 in a sample of cognitively intact older adults: neuropsychological findings. Hum Psychopharmacol 2002;17:267-277.
- Nasab NM, Bahrammi MA, Nikpour MR, Rahim F, Naghibis SN. Efficacy of rivastigmine in comparison to ginkgo for treating Alzheimer’s dementia. J Pak Med Assoc 2012;62(7):677-80
- Nathan PJ, Ricketts E, Wesnes K, et al. The acute nootropic effects of Ginkgo biloba in healthy older human subjects: a preliminary investigation. Hum Psychopharmacol 2002;17:45-9.
- Oken BS, Storzbach DM, Kaye JA. The efficacy of Ginkgo biloba on cognitive function in Alzheimer disease. Arch Neurol 1998;55:1409-15
- Ondrizek RR, Chan PJ, Patton WC, King A. Inhibition of human sperm motility by specific herbs used in alternative medicine. J Assist Reprod Genet 1999;16:87-91
- Polich J, Gloria R. Cognitive effects of a Ginkgo biloba/vinpocetine compound in normal adults: systematic assessment of perception, attention and memory. Hum Psychopharmacol 2001;16:409-16
- Quaranta L, Bettelli S, Uva MG, et al. Effect of Ginkgo biloba extract on preexisting visual field damage in normal tension glaucoma. Ophthalmology 2003;110:359-62.
- Rai GS, Shovlin C, Wesnes KA. A double-blind, placebo-controlled study of Ginkgo biloba extract (‘tanakan’) in elderly outpatients with mild to moderate memory impairment. Curr Med Res Opin 1991;12:350-5
- Rainer M, Mucke H, Schlaefke S. Ginkgo biloba extract EGb 761 in the treatment of dementia: a pharmacoeconomic analysis of the Austrian setting. Wien Klin Wochenschr 2013;125(1-2):8-15
- Rigney U, Kimber S, Hindmarch I. The effects of acute doses of standardized Ginkgo biloba extract on memory and psychomotor performance in volunteers. Phytother Res 1999;13:408-15
- Roncin JP, Schwartz F, D’Arbigny P. Ginkgo biloba (EGb 761) in control of acute mountain sickness and vascular reactivity to cold exposure. Aviat Space Environ Med 1996;67:445-52
- Salehi B, Imani R, Mohammadi MR, et al. Ginkgo biloba for attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder in children and adolescents: a double blind, randomized controlled trial. Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 2010;34:76-80
- Savaskan E, Mueller H, Hoerr R, von Gunten A, Gauthier S. Treatment effects of Ginkgo biloba extract EGb 761 on the spectrum of behavioral and psychological symptoms of dementia: meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Int Psychogeriatr. 2018;30(3):285-293
- Schneider LS, DeKosky ST, Farlow MR, et al. A randomized, double-blind, placebo controlled trial of two doses of Ginkgo biloba extract in dementia of the Alzheimer’s type. Curr Alzheimer Res 2005;2:541-51
- Scholey AB, Kennedy DO. Acute, dose-dependent cognitive effects of Ginkgo biloba, Panax ginseng and their combination in healthy young volunteers: differential interactions with cognitive demand. Hum Psychopharmacol 2002;17:35-44.
- Shakibaei F, Radmanesh M, Salari E, Mahaki B. Ginkgo biloba in the treatment of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder in children and adolescents. A randomized, placebo-controlled, trial. Complement Ther Clin Pract. 2015;21(2):61-7. doi: 10.1016/j.ctcp.2015.04.001
- Solomon PR, Adams F, Silver A, et al. Ginkgo for memory enhancement: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA 2002;288:835-40
- Spinella M, Eaton LA. Hypomania induced by herbal and pharmaceutical psychotropic medicines following mild traumatic brain injury. Brain Inj 2002;16:359-67
- Stough C, Clarke J, Lloyd J, Nathan PJ. Neuropsychological changes after 30-day Ginkgo biloba administration in healthy participants. Int J Neuropsychopharmacol 2001;4:131-4
- Szczurko O, Shear N, Taddio A, Boon H. Ginkgo biloba for the treatment of vitiligo vulgaris: an open label pilot clinical trial. BMC Complement Altern Med 2011;11:21
- Tan MS, Yu JT, Tan CC, et al. Efficacy and adverse effects of ginkgo biloba for cognitive impairment and dementia: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Alzheimers Dis. 2015;43(2):589-603
- Thancharoen O, Limwattananon C, Waleekhachonloet O, et al. Ginkgo biloba Extract (EGb761), Cholinesterase Inhibitors, and Memantine for the Treatment of Mild-to-Moderate Alzheimer’s Disease: A Network Meta-Analysis. Drugs Aging. 2019;36(5):435-452
- Vale S. Subarachnoid haemorrhage associated with Ginkgo biloba. Lancet 1998;352:36
- van Dongen MC, van Rossum E, Kessels AG, et al. The efficacy of ginkgo for elderly people with dementia and age-associated memory impairment: new results of a randomized clinical trial. J Am Geriatr Soc 2000;48:1183-94
- Wesnes K, Simmons D, Rook M, Simpson P. A double-blind placebo-controlled trial of Tanakan in the treatment of idiopathic cognitive impairment in the elderly. Human Psychopharmacol 1987;2:159-69.
- Wesnes KA, Ward T, McGinty A, Petrini O. The memory enhancing effects of a Ginkgo biloba/Panax ginseng combination in healthy middle-aged volunteers. Psychopharmacology (Berl) 2000;152:353-61.
- Wheatley D. Triple-blind, placebo-controlled trial of Ginkgo biloba in sexual dysfunction due to antidepressant drugs. Hum Psychopharmacol 2004;19:545-8
- Woelk H, Arnoldt KH, Kieser M, Hoerr R. Ginkgo biloba special extract EGb 761 in generalized anxiety disorder and adjustment disorder with anxious mood: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. J Psychiatr Res 2007;41:472-80
- Meston CM, Rellini AH, Telch MJ. Short- and long-term effects of Ginkgo biloba extract on sexual dysfunction in women. Arch Sex Behav 2008;37:530-47
- Lingaerde O, Foreland AR, Magnusson A. Can winter depression be prevented by Ginkgo biloba extract? A placebo-controlled trial. Acta Psychiatr Scand 1999;100:62-6
- Lininger S. The Natural Pharmacy. Prima Health. Rocklin, CA: 1998.
- Lister RE. An open, pilot study to evaluate the potential benefits of coenzyme Q10 combined with Ginkgo biloba extract in fibromyalgia syndrome. J Int Med Res 2002;30:195-9
- Fies P, Dienel A. [Ginkgo extract in impaired vision–treatment with special extract EGb 761 of impaired vision due to dry senile macular degeneration]. Wien Med Wochenschr 2002;152:423-6
- Gertsch JH, Basnyat B, Johnson EW, et al. Randomised, double blind, placebo controlled comparison of ginkgo biloba and acetazolamide for prevention of acute mountain sickness among Himalayan trekkers: the prevention of high altitude illness trial (PHAIT). BMJ 2004;328:797
- Ginkgo biloba for SSRI-induced sexual dysfunction. Pharmacist’s Letter / Prescriber’s Letter 1997;13(9):130916.
- Granger AS. Ginkgo biloba precipitating epileptic seizures. Age Ageing 2001;30:523-5
- Gregory PJ. Seizure associated with Ginkgo biloba? Ann Intern Med 2001;134:344
- Ashton AK, Ahrens K, Gupta S, Masand PS. Antidepressant-induced sexual dysfunction and Ginkgo biloba. Am J Psychiatry 2000;157:836-7
- Beck SM, Ruge H, Schindler C, Burkart M, Miller R, Kirschbaum C, et al. Effects of ginkgo biloba extract EGb 761® on cognitive control functions, mental activity of the prefrontal cortex and stress reactivity in elderly adults with subjective memory impairment – a randomized double-blind placebo-controlled trial. Hum Psychopharmacol. 2016;31(3):227-42. doi: 10.1002/hup.2534
- Brinkley, T. E., Lovato, J. F., Arnold, A. M., Furberg, C. D., Kuller, L. H., Burke, G. L., Nahin, R. L., Lopez, O. L., Yasar, S., and Williamson, J. D. Effect of Ginkgo biloba on blood pressure and incidence of hypertension in elderly men and women. Am J Hypertens. 2010;23(5):528-533
This information is meant to supplement, not replace advice from your doctor or healthcare provider and is not meant to cover all possible uses, precautions, interactions or adverse effects. This information may not fit your specific health circumstances. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your doctor or other qualified healthcare provider because of something you have read on Foresta Organics. You should always speak with your doctor or health care professional before you start, stop, or change any prescribed part of your healthcare plan or treatment and to determine what course of therapy is right for you.