Shilajit is a mineral-based extract which is found in the Himalayan rocks and consists of more than 84 minerals, including copper, silver, zinc, iron, and lead. Shilajit is a health rejuvenator that improves sexual stamina and improves energy levels. It helps manage chronic fatigue, tiredness, lethargy, and fatigue. Shilajit is known to improve testosterone levels and enhance male fertility. Being a powerful aphrodisiac, it improves libido, treats various infertility issues and improves the reproductive health in both men and women. It also ensures better functioning of the heart, controls diabetes, aids in digestion, enhances memory, treats inflammation and thus improves overall stamina and body immunity.
What are the synonyms of Shilajit?
Shilajit is also known as Asphaltum punjabinum, Black bitumen, Mineral pitch, Memiya, Silajat, Shilajatu, Silajatu, Kanmandam, Saileya Shilaja, Shiladhatuja, Shilamaya, Shilasweda, Shilaniryasa, Asmaja, Asmajatuka, Girija, Adrija, Gaireya.
Benefits of Shilajit
1. Improves Sexual Health
According to ayurveda, Shilajit acts as Balya (tonic) and has Rasayana (rejuvenating) properties. This helps in improving energy levels and libido.
2. Enhances Fertility & Libido
3. Reduces Fatigue
According to Ayurveda, fatigue is referred to as ‘Klama,’ which is due to imbalance in the Kapha dosha. Shilajit helps reduce fatigue as it has Balya (strength provider) and Rasayana (rejuvenating) properties. It also helps balance Kapha and thus reduces fatigue.
4. Manages Stress & Anxiety
According to ayurveda, Shilajit helps stabilise Vata and Pitta dosha in the body which in turn help in keeping the serotonin levels under control and also helps to reduce various symptoms of anxiety including uneasiness, restlessness, cold hands and feet.
5. Improves Oxygen Levels
According to ayurveda, Shilajit is known as Yogavahi, which means it can enhance the absorption of elements like iron and improve the blood’s oxygen-carrying capacity.
6. Alleviates Pain & Inflammation
7. Improves Cognitive Functioning
Shilajit is a traditional remedy to increase the functioning of the brain. It helps prevent the breakdown of brain chemicals needed for memory, thereby enhancing the memory capacity, focus, concentration, calmness, alertness of an individual. Being a brain tonic and stimulator, it also helps to improve cognitive abilities.
Yes, Shilajit might help detoxify the body because of fulvic and humic acids as they are porous in nature. They absorb harmful chemicals and toxins built up in the body, including heavy metals like lead and mercury, and eliminate them.
Yes, Shilajit is useful in case of anemia. Iron deficiency in the body leads to anemia or low red blood cell count. The fulvic acid in Shilajit helps to absorb iron, making it available to the bone marrow cells to form blood. This helps reduce the symptoms of anemia.
Shilajit might help slow down the aging process. Fulvic acid present in Shilajit has an antioxidant property that destroys free radicals in the body and prevents cell damage. Shilajit helps protect the skin from premature aging by reducing fine lines and wrinkles.
According to Ayurveda, aging happens because of an aggravated Vata and quick degeneration of cells. Shilajit has Balya (strength provider) and Rasayana (rejuvenating) properties that help control the signs of aging by preventing the degeneration of cells.
Yes, Shilajit can be taken in any season, including summers. Although it is advisable to consult your doctor before taking it.
According to ayurveda, Shilajit can be taken in all seasons as it has Rasayana (rejuvenating) property. Even though it has Ushna Veerya (hot potency), Laghu Guna (light in digestion) property, if taken in adequate dosage in all seasons, it’s easily digestible.
No, Shilajit is not known to cause constipation. It contains certain antioxidants that neutralize and eliminate harmful chemicals and toxins from the body. Due to this, it is a rare possibility that Shilajit might cause constipation. However, different supplements act differently in every individual; therefore, it is advisable to consult your doctor before starting any health supplement.
- Dr. Reddy PS, ed. “Shilajatu”.A Textbook of Rasashastra.2017.
- Meena H, Pandey HK, Arya MC, et al.Shilajit: A panacea for high-altitude problems.Int J Ayurveda Res.2010;1(1):37–40.
- Pandit S, Biswas S, Jana U, et al.Clinical evaluation of purified Shilajit on testosterone levels in healthy volunteers.Andrologia.2016;48(5):570-575.
- C Velmurugan, B VIvek, E Wilson, et al.Evaluation of safety profile of black shilajit after 91 days repeated administration in rats.Asian Pac J Trop Biomed.2012;2(3):210-214.
- Gallardo CC, Guzman L, Maccioni RB.Shilajit : A natural phytocomplex with potential procognitive activity.International Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease.2012:4.
- Cornejo A1, Jiménez JM, Caballero L, et al.Fulvic acid inhibits aggregation and promotes disassembly of tau fibrils associated with Alzheimer’s disease.J Alzheimers Dis. 2011;27(1):143-53.
- Cagno V, Donalisio M, Civra A, et al.In vitro evaluation of the antiviral properties of Shilajit and investigation of its mechanisms of action.J Ethnopharmacol. 2015;166:129-134.
- Pant K, Singh B, Thakur N.Shilajit: A humic matter panacea for cancer.International Journal of Toxicological and Pharmacological Research. 2012;4(2):17-25.
- Surapaneni DK, Adapa SR, Preeti K, et al.Shilajit attenuates behavioral symptoms of chronic fatigue syndrome by modulating the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis and mitochondrial bioenergetics.JEthnopharmacol.2012;143(1):91-99.
- Carrasco-Gallardo C, Guzmán L, Maccioni RB. Shilajit: a natural phytocomplex with potential procognitive activity. Int J Alzheimers Dis. 2012;2012:674142.
This information is meant to supplement, not replace advice from your doctor or healthcare provider and is not meant to cover all possible uses, precautions, interactions or adverse effects. This information may not fit your specific health circumstances. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your doctor or other qualified healthcare provider because of something you have read on Foresta Organics. You should always speak with your doctor or health care professional before you start, stop, or change any prescribed part of your healthcare plan or treatment and to determine what course of therapy is right for you.