Jatamansi, also known as “tapaswani” in Ayurveda, is a perennial, dwarf, hairy, herbaceous, and endangered plant species. It also calms down the brain and manages anxiety as well as insomnia. It acts as a brain tonic and improves memory and brain functions by preventing cell damage due to its antioxidant property.
What are the synonyms of Jatamansi?
Jatamansi is also known as – Nardostachys jatamansi, Balchara, Billilotan, Jatamanji, Mamsi, Jata, Jatila, Jatamangshi, Nardus root, Baalchad, Kalichad, Bhootajata, Ganagila maste, Bhutijata, Manchi, Jatamanchi, Balchhar, Chharguddi, Sumbul-ut-teeb, Bhytajata, Tapaswani.
Benefits of Jatamansi
1. Manages Anxiety
2. Reduces Insomnia
3. Controls Weak Memory
No, Jatamansi should not be consumed before driving as it is known to induce sleep.
Yes, Jatamansi is known to induce sleep by calming down the nerves. This may lead to drowsiness.
Being a 100% natural and ayurvedic ingredient, Jatamansi is safe to be consumed. However, if taken in high dosage, it can lead to nausea, vomiting, frequent urination, diarrhea, abdominal cramps.
No, Jatamansi helps to improve digestion because of its Laghu (light) property. It gets digested easily and does not cause any digestive problems.
- The Ayurvedic Pharmacopoeia Of India.Part 1 Volume 1.
- Bhatt M, Kothiyal P.A review article on Phytochemistry and Pharmacological profiles of Nardostachys jatamansi DC-medicinal herb.J Pharmacogn Phytochem.2015; 3(5): 102-106.
- Sahu R, Dhongade H. J, Pandey A,et.al.Medicinal Properties of Nardostachys jatamansi (A Review). Orient J Chem 2016;32(2).
- Suriya F.Nardostachys jatamansi – A transformational bridge between earth and heaven. ITHMA-London:2016.
- Purnima, Bhatt M, Kothiyal P. A review article on phytochemistry and pharmacological profiles of Nardostachys jatamansi DC-medicinal herb.Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry 2015; 3(5): 102-106.
- Gottumukkala VR, Annamalai T, Mukhopadhyay T.Phytochemical investigation and hair growth studies on the rhizomes of Nardostachys jatamansi D.Pharmacogn Mag.2011; 7(26): 146–150.
- Patel S, Sharma V, Chauhan NS, et al.Hair Growth: Focus on Herbal Therapeutic Agent. Current Drug Discovery Technologies, 2015;12.
- Nakoti SS, Juyal D, Josh AK. A review on pharmacognostic and phytochemical study of a plant Nardostachys Jatamansi.The pharma innovation journal.2017;6(7): 936-941.
- Joshi H, Parle M. Nardostachys jatamansi improves learning and memory in mice. J Med Food. 2006;9(1):113-8.
- Razack S, Khanum F.Anxiolytic effects of Nardostachys jatamansi DC in mice.Annals of phytomedicine.2012;1(2):67-73.
- Jadhav VM, Thorat RM, Kadam VJ.Herbal anxiolyte: Nardostachys jatamansi.Journal of Pharmacy Research.2009;2(7):1208-1211.
This information is meant to supplement, not replace advice from your doctor or healthcare provider and is not meant to cover all possible uses, precautions, interactions or adverse effects. This information may not fit your specific health circumstances. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your doctor or other qualified healthcare provider because of something you have read on Foresta Organics. You should always speak with your doctor or health care professional before you start, stop, or change any prescribed part of your healthcare plan or treatment and to determine what course of therapy is right for you.